Sports injuries cause long break in season for BG athletes

Cervantes plays in the game vs Rolling Meadows on Oct.10.

Daily Herald

Many students at BG strive toward personal athletic goals. However, immense pressure during games and practices have caused many  students to tumble down (both metaphorically and literally) and injure themselves.

Nurse Stacy Wodka said that sports injuries are common amongst athletes due to their year–round training and the intensity of sports. Although sports injuries seem unavoidable, they can be prevented. According to Wodka, sports injuries can be avoided with proper conditioning, training and limits.

“I would say it is very important for kids to have appropriate rests between training sessions, and to always warm up and cool down,” Wodka said.

When athletes experience injuries, it is important for them to go to a trainer or doctor so that their injuries can be examined. If a student has an injury and chooses to ignore it, it  has the potential to worsen.

“If there is a strain or sprain, students should see the trainers in school. If symptoms last longer, I suggest following up with a doctor to get a further diagnosis,” Wodka said. “If there is any kind of head injury, people should stop right away and get assessed.”

Junior Dana Stutzman has been playing volleyball competitively both in school and in clubs for about five years, and this year she experienced an extremely severe injury. During a volleyball match at the beginning of the school year, Stutzman tore her ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament).

“I had to move to the left really quickly, but when I jumped my knee was twisted in a weird position,” Stutzman said. “When I landed my knee just gave out and I fell.”

For students that have been involved in sports for years, it can be extremely upsetting to take a break from their sport and miss out on opportunities to improve.

“Not only am I missing the high school season, I also don’t get to play during my club season,” Stutzman said.

“I worked very hard in the off–season to earn a spot, and sitting on the bench can get hard sometimes.”

Junior Trey Cervantes has been involved in football since he was in second grade, and is currently the quarterback for the varsity football team. Unfortunately, on Sept. 19 while playing a home game against Fremd, the defender on the opposing team landed on his forearm, causing it to break from the pressure.

He couldn’t play for two weeks after, but was able to play through the injury during the Homecoming game on Oct. 10 with a cast on.

“My forearm won’t fully recover for another six weeks,” Cervantes said. “All I can do right now is wait until it fully heals, I have to wear a cast until the swelling goes down.”

Having an injury from playing any sport is a recurring issue amongst athletes, but it is important to remember that most of the injuries heal and that there is always a comeback waiting to happen.

“I have tried to get through the injury by staying positive and trying to think about the good things,” Cervantes said.