Madman Dance–Off encourages giving back to a new beat

Nicole Bankowski

Senior Aura Ciungan participates in a past fundraising event.

On Friday Nov. 7, BG will welcome a new event for this 2014–2015 school year. Referred to as Madman Dance Off, this fundraising event will profit Salute Inc., an organization that supports military men and women who are not receiving proper compensation from the government after serving their time in the armed forces.
“The goals of the event are to raise money for Salute Inc. and to give students a fun way to help give back to the community,” Student Council President Matt Shapiro said.
The event aims at bringing the student body together for a night of dancing and games. In addition to dancing the night away, the event includes activities such as limbo, musical chairs and hula–hoop competitions.
Madman Dance–Off is taking the place of Dance Marathon. Dance Marathon consisted of students forming teams and competing against fellow groups in various games and activities. Madman Dance–Off, on the other hand, will have this and more, adding to this list an actual dance–off between teams. The event will also have an emphasis on competition and the main goal of it is to try and inspire students to give back to the community.
“I’ve been attending Dance Marathon since my freshman year and plan to attend Madman Dance–Off this year as well,” senior Orchesis member Teagan Nelson said. “It’s really a lot of fun. You have to be willing to put yourself out there.”
Last year, the event even recruited a current security guard at BG and war veteran Sven Cederberg, to say a few words about the impact such an event has on the community.
“Having Sven speak to the students last year really left a lasting impression,” Shapiro said. “Hearing the real story of a veteran brings everything into perspective and helps emphasize why we are doing this event to begin with.”
Student Council is hiring Monster Entertainment, a partner of 103.5 Kiss FM, to DJ the event this year and Student Council adviser Rich Schram hopes that this will draw many fresh faces to support the cause.
Madman Dance–Off will take place on Friday, Nov. 7 at seven p.m. in the gym. Registration packets are due on Tuesday, Oct. 28 and can be turned into the Main Office.
“Of all the events I have worked on, I’ve never had a more rewarding feeling and seen students have more fun,” Schram said.