Boys basketball shoots for successful season in MSL

Senior Nate Woten warms up his jump shot at a recent practice.

The boys basketball team will look for a successful season under second–year head coach Keith Peterson, after finishing with a 7–5 record last year. With a full off–season to learn the coach’s system, Peterson will look to his players to take that next step forward.

“Our team is very hardworking,” Peterson said. “We’ve added a lot of depth this year, and our guys just love playing basketball with each other.”

Whenever they do not have a game, the team practices after school in the gymnasium or fieldhouse. Peterson makes it his job to prepare the team for the skill and physical demands of the forthcoming high school season.

“Our practices consist of 25–minute stations, including shooting, dribbling and passing,” Peterson said. “We then have a half hour of scrimmage situations.”

The team will look to start their season strong at their first game this upcoming Monday. They will face the Niles North Vikings at 7:30 p.m. in the Main Gym.

Senior Eric Heinrich, a second–year varsity member, is very excited for the new season to get underway.

“I really think we have a shot to win the MSL East this year,” Heinrich said. “The chemistry on this team is much better than previous years, and we’re more familiar with the new offense.”

The team will have to be strong this year if they hope to claim the East. According to Peterson, Prospect High School has won the MSL East five out of the last six years, and Elk Grove will also be competing for the coveted title.

This year, the team will be led by Heinrich, as well as seniors Zack Masciopinto, Nate Woten, Conner Reid, Connor May and Ryan Williams. 

Tonight, the team will be hosting the First Annual Bison Madness event. The event will include a match between the freshman and sophomore teams, as well as a scrimmage by the varsity team.

In addition to these events, the team will be hosting a fundraiser called Hoops for Fuges in support of science teacher Dave Fuglestad. The team will be selling t–shirts and collecting donations. All money collected from concession stands will also go toward helping Fuglestad’s recovery.

The team is very supportive of Fugelstad and is proud to be a part of  the event.

“I’m so excited to have the opportunity to support Mr. Fuglestad by playing the game I love,” Williams said. “He’s a kind and genuine human being, and this is the least we could do for him.”

After successful seasons for the fall sports teams, the basketball team will be one of many winter sports looking to continue the positivity. Whether it’s individual accolades or winning a rivalry game, teams like boys basketball will look to take that next step.

“I hope to win a couple playoff games this season, as well as have my best overall season,” Williams said. “I know that with this group of guys, we will take that next step, we’re a dangerous team.”