Republicans control Congress after November elections

Although Illinois has been a Democratic state since the 1990s, in the recent midterm election Illinois voters elected all Republican officials. Illinois’ historical reputation as a big–time political machine continues to soar with the results of the 2014 elections that took place on Nov. 4.

It isn’t rare to come across a lot of political talk around BG, as many students are aware of the impact of local politics. Some students are eager to see how Illinois’ future can be affected by the decisions of politicians, considering Chicago’s  longtime political, reputation as a “Democratic zone.” With Bruce Rauner’s victory comes new economic policies which will affect the daily lives of all Illinoisans. His fiscal planning will either be beneficial or detrimental to companies and their employees.

Bruce Rauner recently moved forward with plans to become Illinois’ 42nd governor by selecting his running mate to lead his transition team. According to a recent interview with ABC 7 News, current 65–year–old Democratic Governor Pat Quinn acknowledged he could not overcome a significant vote difference during the election.

Quinn is assuring a smooth transition for the first Republican elected governor since 1998.

He has also promised to push for an increase in the state’s minimum wage before leaving office on Jan. 12.

This means that although Republicans will be dominating Congress and Illinois’ state legislature, Democrats are still trying to achieve their goals.

Students can recognize the effect this has in more than one area of their life. Senior Roma Makarov campaigned for Republican House candidate Robert Dold and believes that an increase in the minimum wage can be beneficial for those working what some view as beginner, teen dominated jobs.

“It will benefit me since I make minimum wage,” Makarov said. “It creates an ideal pay bracket for inflation that continues to rise.”

Additionally, Rauner, in and act of sympathy, issued a statement thanking Quinn “for his many years of service to Illinois” and for “his commitment to making this a smooth transition.”

Conversely, Matt Cross, who works at a country club, recieves minimum wage and approves of the now Republican dominated Illinois electoral selections. He believes  that teens should receive the wages that are qualified for them; however, an increase of a minimum wage should be thought of thoroughly before being passed.

“Sure I’d like to make more, but I understand that I’m working a lower level job and that is what will dictate how much I make,” Cross said. “If kids are worried about out an increase in smaller things like the raise of minimum wage, I worry that more difficult political decisions won’t be taken care of.”

Many times, a student’s relatives influence their political ideologies. Senior Patrick Horcher’s parents are heavily involved in politics.

“My dad is involved in farming in Wheeling, I hear a lot about politics,” Horcher said.

The demonstration of different viewpoints within BG shows that kids really are concerned with the recent elections.

“Knowing how politics affects you and the community can only serve to help everyone,” Horcher said.