The One Grove Gallery showcases student artwork in the latest show “Individual spaces.”

Photo courtesy of Kirsten O'Malley

Junior Kiersten O’Malley’s piece drawn in colored pencil for the showcase, “Individual spaces.”

The One Grove Gallery is currently displaying their first show this year called “Individual Spaces.” The show consists of artwork that students have created during remote learning this semester. The gallery can also be viewed online at their website . Although the student-run group has adjusted to meet safety regulations, they are looking forward to producing various shows this year.

According to senior Anabel Jones, one of the challenges the pandemic posed for art students was the distribution of art supplies during remote learning. Although dry mediums, including charcoal, colored pencils and pastels were easily made available to students, mediums such as inks and acrylic paints proved to be a challenge.

Photo courtesy of Lauren Stenzel

“The school didn’t want to risk any spillage that could possibly happen in the portfolio that they can give us for our supplies,” Jones said. “But those supplies can last for so long, sooner or later we’ll have to restock. But since we’re allowed to come back to school we’ll be able to restock when we come back with our designated groups.”

Beyond art supplies, many artists themselves found the summer quarantine to be both a great opportunity to focus on their art, as well as a challenging time to stay motivated as artists. Junior Kiersten O’Malley, a member of the art gallery and art club, remains optimistic about this year and is excited to help create both the gallery and art pieces for it.

“Unfortunately though, as much as I’d love to say that I’ve created a gazillion art pieces in this time, I haven’t,” junior Kiersten O’Malley said. “In the beginning of quarantine I don’t think I was extremely motivated, which is disappointing as well. I hope to bounce back though and even though school isn’t what it was in April, and it isn’t Summer, I can definitely plan to improve and work more, as I am home more.”

Due to the fact students were not in person for the first quarter, art teachers helped organize “Individual Spaces”. The current gallery was also part of an in-person critique by art teacher Michelle Price, offering an opportunity for students enrolled in his advanced art class to get valuable feedback.

“For the website, we can always have virtual shows,” gallery supervisor Kristin Oversmith said. “But in terms of getting the physical work and navigating who can come in, who can drop it off, who’s in person and who’s remote [is a challenge].”

Photo courtesy of Lauren Stenzel

Although the club has currently transitioned to online zoom meetings on Wednesday at 4:00 p.m., the collaborative aspect of the club has remained a very important factor.

“My favorite part about the art gallery and art club is creating art with others,” O’Malley said. “We can collaborate and help each other, cheer each other on, and we have almost infinite creative freedom which is tremendously fun, as we can work on a piece that we’ve never worked on before.”

The One Grove Gallery is planning various shows for this year, including a Humanities show for the spring as well as a photography show that will offer students a workshop with a professional photographer. The club has also had collaborations with other clubs in the past, including the “Día de los Muertos” showcase last year in collaboration with Spanish Club. Oversmith encourages teachers and students to bring their classes to see the gallery, and use the artwork for inspiration and to create discussion.

“It’s a little different since we don’t have physical work and we don’t have all the people here in terms of generating ideas,” Oversmith said. “The gallery committee is smaller this year. We are going to start that up in-person and are hoping to get a few more people involved.”

The club offers a place for students interested in art to work and meet with students who share the same interests, while creating a project that can be seen and admired by students and staff alike.

It’s a good place to take some time and hangout with friends while working on art pieces for yourself or for your art class,” Jones said. “We’re a small community that always has open arms for people who want to join at any point of the year.”