Girls swim and dive make splash in 2022 record setting season

@McP_BGHS

Champions: Girls Swim make history by winning the MSL Conference for the first time in BG’s history.

At BGHS, There are a boys and Girls swim and dive team that is offered. The sport has been offered around the start of school year in 1973’. Swim and dive is a sport that has a longer duration of time since the sport consist of Swimming laps and Diving. The sport consists of around 20-30 students competing. This fall, four girls ‘Senior Victoria Surdyka, Freshman Ella Houston, Senior Reese Frighetto, and Freshman Payton Menely’ competed at state.

Girls swim coach, Pathway and Science Michael McPartlin knew this season “ It would be different even before the team became MSL Conference champions for the first time” In BG’s history, Girls’ swim and dive became champions and players have been. The team has about 30 people participating, and there is a range of different students. According to McPartlin, “this year, we had more depth as a program and they were able to fill out their lineup better”.

“We added eight freshmen to the varsity team, including both swimming and diving,” McPartlin said. “The older girls in the program were also extremely motivated to make this their best year and leave their mark one last time.”

Freshman Ella Houston, was one of the newcomers to the team this season. According to Houston, she has swam most of her life, swimming at the high school level has given her an opportunity to feel like a part of a team that strives to become better together. 

“As a Freshman, I didn’t really know exactly what to expect coming into this season,” Houston said. “In highschool, even though we are swimming in different lanes and always racing, no matter who’s next to you it really felt like we were all a team.”

Not only did the team send six members to the State competition, they also broke several school records in several different categories including the 100 Breastroke by Surdyka, 200 Freestyle and 500 Freestyle by Houston, and the 400 Free Relay by Frighetto, Surdyka Menely, and Houston. Other State qualifiers included Junior Abby Swanson and Freshman Gianna Gagliano. 

Houston had an especially incredible State qualifying performance in which she clocked the third fastest 500 Freestyle in the State as a Freshman. “I worked really hard all season” Houston said. “I felt like by the end all my hard work paid off.” Surdyka secured eighth in State in the 100 Breaststroke, while the 400 Free Relay team also consisting of Surdyka along with Houston, Frighetto, and Menely earned ninth place. Most impressively, however; was once again Houston placing fifth overall in the 500 Free in her first participation at the high school State level. The team combined for an extremely commendable fifteenth place finish at the IHSA State meet. 

According to McPartlin it is difficult to choose just one achievement that he is most proud of this season. “Top three would be the MSL East Division title” McPartlin said. “And that we had six girls qualify for State and four girls make it back to earn a State medal on day two.” According to Menely she is hopeful for what the future might bring following this record setting season. “This was one of our best seasons which definitely sets a very strong tone for the future,” Menely said. “It gives hope for future seasons and pushes us to give it our all because we know how great the outcome of it could be.” 

McPartlin stated the team’s expectations moving forward are to continue to improve in technique, speed, and power while individual members have different goals from making the sectional team and earning all-conference recognition to wanting to medal at State.

Either way, this group was historic,” McPartlin said. “We are looking to continue making history.”