New in-school nap initiative takes place allowing students to catch up on sleep

With the recent studies on the  harmful health effects of little sleep on a teenager and the constant complaining of BG students that claim they don’t get enough sleep, BG has taken action to add in some extra sleep time into students’ schedules. From now on, students will have one period of their choice they can skip to go to the new room set up in the main foyer that is devoted to sleeping.

“We really want to do what’s best for our students,” administrator Matt Rist said, “With this new plan, we’re hoping students can be happy and more successful.” 

With such a great opportunity also comes great responsibility. Students are required to have a clear disciplinary record, at least a 2.8 GPA or higher and may not be absent from school for more than four days in a month, except under special circumstances. According to Rist, with this new regime, he is hoping the students will be encouraged to do better in school in order to be able to participate in nap time. 

“I really like this new idea and I know many other students do,” junior Sally Jones said, “I think it’s a great way for us students to distress and take a break from our busy lives.” 

In this new nap room there will be about fifty twin-sized beds. According to Rist, the rule will be, “first come, first serve!” Inside the room, the lights will be dim at first. A teacher will be assigned to read the students a short bedtime story and then turn off the lights after they are done.

“I usually get about five hours of sleep because of all the homework and studying I have to do,” Jones said, “I think I’ll definitely take advantage of this opportunity to have that extra forty eight minutes of sleep.” 

Although most of BG’s students’ reactions to this plan are very positive, the rest of the administration is still skeptical about how this will work. Some worry that because the student gets a choice in what period to skip, they may purposefully skip a class because they have a test in it or a big presentation due. 

Even with the administrations skepticism, Rist stresses that this is an effective way to keep students healthy physically, mentally and emotionally. If they don’t get this period of reflection and silence during these seven hours while in school, it can lead them down an unhealthy pathway.

“I hope students realize that this is a privilege and it can be taken away anytime if misused,” Rist said, “As long as the students are happy, I’m happy.”